ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-rn-wg]

[gnso-rn-wg] RE: [gnso-idn-wg] Re: Banning CCHH anywhere in a label

  • To: "'Tan Tin Wee'" <tinwee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <edmon@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-rn-wg] RE: [gnso-idn-wg] Re: Banning CCHH anywhere in a label
  • From: "Tina Dam" <tina.dam@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2007 16:36:30 -0800

Tin Wee, All,
While it naturally is impossible to test all applications the Technical Test
Phase II is focused on the application area. It is in progress of being
defined and planned and will contain elements around communication as well.
(communication to application providers...so far we have received quite some
interest in getting this right which is good).

Further, the revision of the protocol does not expect to be changing the
prefix and also one of the main reasons for the revision is to be able to
proceed with a non-unicode-version dependant protocol to avoid continuously
revisions, which could create further problems as you mention below.

I am not sure I follow your AXN-- discussion below...but I support Will and
Edmon comments on this. The protocol does not work mid-way strings. What
that means is that it is entirely possible to register a string that midway
has "xn--" in it, and I don't see any need for reserving such names. Sloppy
applications that take such strings and convert to U-strings should quickly
be revised by market complaints. As mentioned while some application testing
is in place, we need to keep in mind that (i) we cant test all applications
that exists now and in the future (ii) even if tested the providers can
change the implementation at any time.

Tina

PS> Sorry I was not on the call last night. I arrived late evening from a
long into LA and did not managed to stay up for the 3am call. I will listen
to the recording and if I have input I will provide it to the list.