ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-rn-wg]

RE: [gnso-rn-wg] on IDN single character

  • To: "'Avri Doria'" <avri@xxxxxxx>, "'GNSO RN WG'" <gnso-rn-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-rn-wg] on IDN single character
  • From: "Edmon Chung" <edmon@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2007 04:22:18 +0800

I am generally of the opinion that auctions could be used for resolving
competing applications, especially given the premise (speaking specifically on
the TLD level) that ICANN is not (at least so far anticipating to) selecting a
name and then soliciting requests from applicants.  So, rather than have
"special" allocation in some anticipation that the market is going to be very
interested with them (again speaking specifically on the TLD level), its better
to just let the applicants and the market decide.

As for single character IDN, there is a potential for tens of thousands of
possibilities rather than a select 26/36 or the like for one language, so on
that note, whether it makes sense to only release single character IDN via
special allocation method may require further study perhaps.

Edmon