ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-rn-wg]

RE: [gnso-rn-wg] Report for Other Names at the 2nd Level

  • To: "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "GNSO RN WG" <gnso-rn-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-rn-wg] Report for Other Names at the 2nd Level
  • From: "Shatan, Gregory S." <GShatan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 19:45:56 -0400

I'm not sure "concern" is the right word.  If it never gets allocated,
it's reserved for all practical purposes, and should be within the
purview of our WG.  If it's not de facto reserved, it should be
allocated or made available for registration within a reasonable period
of time.  I, for one, am not comfortable saying these are not reserved
names, if they function like reserved names.  Conversely, I am more
comfortable saying these are different from reserved names, if they act
different from reserved names in the most critical way (i.e., they are
allocated).  Otherwise, we essentially end up with a class of reserved
names that avoid the technical coordination and oversight of ICANN.

In short, if they function as reserved names, I think they quack like
ducks ("If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's a
duck....")

  _____