ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-rn-wg]

RE: [gnso-rn-wg] Report for Other Names at the 2nd Level

  • To: "Shatan, Gregory S." <GShatan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "GNSO RN WG" <gnso-rn-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-rn-wg] Report for Other Names at the 2nd Level
  • From: "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 19:53:59 -0400

Greg,

Please see my responses below.

Chuck Gomes

________________________________

        From: Shatan, Gregory S. [mailto:GShatan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
        Sent: Tuesday, March 13, 2007 7:46 PM
        To: Gomes, Chuck; GNSO RN WG
        Subject: RE: [gnso-rn-wg] Report for Other Names at the 2nd
Level

        I'm not sure "concern" is the right word.  If it never gets
allocated, it's reserved for all practical purposes, and should be
within the purview of our WG.
        [Gomes, Chuck] Why?

        If it's not de facto reserved, it should be allocated or made
available for registration within a reasonable period of time.
        [Gomes, Chuck] Why?

        I, for one, am not comfortable saying these are not reserved
names, if they function like reserved names.
        [Gomes, Chuck] Different categories of reserved names are
handled differently but in each case there is a reason and the reason
has some basis (e.g., confusion, IDN identification, technical
stability, etc. What would be the reason here?  Our comfort level
doesn't seem like a valid reason to me.

        Conversely, I am more comfortable saying these are different
from reserved names, if they act different from reserved names in the
most critical way (i.e., they are allocated).  Otherwise, we essentially
end up with a class of reserved names that avoid the technical
coordination and oversight of ICANN.
        [Gomes, Chuck] What technical coordination is needed with these?
That is what I am looking for.  I am not aware of any needed technical
coordination.

        In short, if they function as reserved names, I think they quack
like ducks ("If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's a
duck....")
        [Gomes, Chuck] We have a lot of different ducks.  Should they
all be treated the same?