ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-rn-wg]

[gnso-rn-wg] IANA names

  • To: <gnso-rn-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-rn-wg] IANA names
  • From: "Mike Rodenbaugh" <mxr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 May 2007 09:54:04 -0700

Chuck,

Sorry for delay in providing more here, I am not clear exactly what
add'l background you feel is desirable but I figure the Appendix C must
provide it.  So the below draft email I submit to the WG for discussion
today if desired...  .

Dear [ICANN/IANA and various orgs...]:

As part of the input into its Policy Development Process regarding new
gTLDs, the GNSO has formed a Working Group to examine current name
reservations in registry operator agreements, and to recommend whether
those reservations should be continued, modified or discontinued.  The
Registry Agreements negotiated by ICANN state that "the following names
shall be reserved at the second level and at all other levels within the
TLD at which Registry Operator makes registrations".  The attached
interim report from the WG provides background and a table of the names
currently reserved to IANA and ICANN organizations.

The Working Group has stated thus far:  The role of the reserved names
held by IANA and ICANN has been to maintain for those organizations the
exclusive rights to the names of ICANN (icann), its bodies (aso, ccnso,
pso, etc.) or essential related functions (internic) of the two
organizations.

Do you believe that names on the attached table -- which correspond or
relate to your organization -- should continue to be reserved at all
levels in all current and future gTLDs?

If yes, please state the reasons why you believe such exclusive rights
should be reserved in all gTLDs, and describe how you have used or may
intend to use these domains in the 16 gTLDs, and in any other TLDs to
date.

If no, please state which name reservations need not continue, or if you
believe the reservation should be modified (i.e. DNSO should be GNSO)
then please state this.

Please provide the name of the person completing this questionnaire, and
any additional comments or questions that you or your organization may
have for the WG.

Mike Rodenbaugh

Sr. Legal Director

Yahoo! Inc.