ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-stakeholder-charters]

ICANN Draft Charter

  • To: gnso-stakeholder-charters@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: ICANN Draft Charter
  • From: Adrienne Lauby <adrienne@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 08:37:56 -0700

Dear ICANN,

I do not believe this current draft will be either effective
or useful.  I implore you to return to the NCUC draft
which was written and supported by many non-commercial
organizations and individuals.

Noncommercial users have been fighting for years to obtain
parity with commercial users in the GNSO policy development
process at ICANN.  The planned "constituency-based" structure
would stranglehold noncommercial users and
discourage consensus building and cooperation among
competing constituencies.  The "constituency-based" voting
it proposes creates a constant zero-sum struggle
between noncommercial constituencies, rendering the
entire Non-Commercial Stakeholder Group ineffective
in ICANN policy development.

I am a non-commercial internet user, both as an individual
and as a non-commercial producer of audio content.
I support the Consensus Charter for a NonCommercial
Users Stakeholder Group Submitted by NCUC.

Noncommercial users of the internet built much of the
conceptional base of the internet.  Much of the creativity
of current web protocols was pioneered by noncommercial
users.  Noncommercial users continue to provide the
proving ground, and frequently the basic ideas, used
by successful commercial internet developers.

To ignore those of us who care enough to work
at the policy level at GNSO and to marginalize
our community, is not only ethically questionable,
but it harms the future best interest of us all.

Sincerely,
Adrienne Lauby
Adrienne Lauby
KPFA’s Disability Program,