ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-sti]

Re: [gnso-sti] URS Strawman Proposal 111109.xls

  • To: Kurt Pritz <kurt.pritz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-sti] URS Strawman Proposal 111109.xls
  • From: Wendy Seltzer <wendy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 09:51:55 -0500

Thanks Kurt,

One quick response:

> No genuine issue of material fact -- similar to Rule 56 of U.S. Fed. Rule of
> Civil Procedure.
> Staff comment: this is workable, we think the clear and convincing standard
> is better. The strawman burden seems equivalent to the summary judgment
> burden – which can be defeated by essentially any evidence, where the clear
> and convincing burden, while high, enables some balancing on the part of the
> panelist.

I think a high burden and clear standard, leaving the examiners little
discretion, are critical to keeping a rapid and inexpensive URS fair.
Hence I'd argue that "any evidence defeats a complaint" is appropriate.
 On a showing of any contestable issue, the matter should be kicked over
to UDRP.

--Wendy

--
Wendy Seltzer -- wendy@xxxxxxxxxxx