ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-sti]

Re: [gnso-sti] Rule 56

  • To: Alan Greenberg <alan.greenberg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-sti] Rule 56
  • From: Wendy Seltzer <wendy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 01 Dec 2009 10:52:15 -0500

Alan Greenberg wrote:

> My understanding is the reference to Rule 56 in our strawman proposal
> was not a intention to us US law in the URS, nor to even say that the
> full details of Rule 56 applies to the URS. Rather, it was a shorthand
> to give the intent of what we wanted to say.

Thanks for this framing.  I've added in a few details:

> For a URS to be successful, the Examiner, based on:

a) the complaint;
> a) the verified TM from a jurisdiction that performs substantial
> validation (including if applicable, its geographic limitations and
> class of service);
> b) the domain name in question;
> c) the contents of the web site or other evidence of the domain name
> usage; and
> d) the registrant response (if received);

must conclude that there is no genuine issue of material fact that A)
the complainant has rights to the name and B) the respondent has no
rights or legitimate interest in the name.

This means that the complainant must present evidence to substantiate
its trademark rights in the domain name (e.g., evidence of a matching
trademark registration from a jurisdiction that performs substantive
review) and evidence that the domain name was registered and is being
used abusively to infringe the trademark.

If the Examiner concludes that complainant has not met its burden, or
that real factual questions remain around any of the elements, the
Examiner must reject the complaint as inappropriate for Rapid Suspension.

> 1) (if a response was received) No evidence was presented to indicate
> that the use of the domain name in question is a
non-infringing or fair
> use of the TM.
>
> or
>
> 2) (if a response was not received) No defense can be imagined to
> indicate that the use of the domain name in question is a
non-infringing or fair use the TM.

--
Wendy Seltzer -- wendy@xxxxxxxxxxx
Fellow, Silicon Flatirons Center at University of Colorado Law School