ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-thickwhoispdp-experts]

Re: [gnso-thickwhoispdp-experts] First set of questions from the 'thick' Whois WG

  • To: gnso-thickwhoispdp-experts@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-thickwhoispdp-experts] First set of questions from the 'thick' Whois WG
  • From: Andrew Sullivan <ajs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2013 13:30:46 -0400

Hi,

On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 06:56:53AM -0700, Marika Konings wrote:
> Authoritativeness Sub-Team
>
> the thick EPP model."  The report indicates that there were no such
> discrepancies. Does this mean that (to PIR's knowledge) there were no
> differences between the Whois data held by registrars and that held by the
> registry, at least through June 2004, when the report was filed?  If so this

I wasn't involved in the preparation of this report, as far as I
remember, but it isn't surprising that there'd be no discrepancy.
During the transition, registrars added contact data to the registry.
By definition, whatever the registrar put in would have been the
authoritative data.  I don't know whether there were any tests that
compared the former registrar whois data with the new registry-based
data.

> were "relating to privacy issues." Is any detail available on these
> complaints, or do the experts have any recollections regarding them?

I don't have any recollection, but I don't remember complaints about
privacy being a big problem.  I do remember people complaining about
harvesting of email addresses out of the whois, which is why we added
the rate limiting to the whois code base.  Those may not have been
classified as a "privacy" issue.

 > Do you have expert knowledge on how the situation with privacy and data
> retention and with trans border data movement may have changed during the
> last decade? If so, can you detail the differences? If not, can you give us
> references as to whom you believe would be able to give us expert advise on
> any changed circumstances that may be important considerations today, that
> were not a consideration then.

The obvious thing to worry about is the varying interpretation of the
European data retention rules.  I am not an expert in that area.  You
probably want someone involved in the relevant laws, but a first pass
might be to ask someone at DEnic -- they have this exact problem
already, and could probably tell you something.

Andrew Sullivan
ajs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx