ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-thickwhoispdp-experts]

Re: [gnso-thickwhoispdp-experts] First set of questions from the 'thick' Whois WG

  • To: MICHAEL YOUNG <michael@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-thickwhoispdp-experts] First set of questions from the 'thick' Whois WG
  • From: Marika Konings <marika.konings@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2013 04:04:59 -0700

Thanks, Michael, I've added it to the document and circulated it to the WG
(see updated version attached).

With best regards,

Marika

From:  MICHAEL YOUNG <michael@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date:  Tuesday 26 March 2013 11:33
To:  Marika Konings <marika.konings@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc:  Greg Aaron <greg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
"gnso-thickwhoispdp-experts@xxxxxxxxx"
<gnso-thickwhoispdp-experts@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject:  Re: [gnso-thickwhoispdp-experts] First set of questions from the
'thick' Whois WG

Marika you can add the following addition from myself, if you find it useful
to do so.

I don't specifically recall why there would be zero discrepancies in the
2004 report between registrars Whois databases and the Registry Whois.  I
surmise that there are zero discrepancies because the report was likely a
representation of the final verification process undertaken during the
procedure of migrating Org registrars from the RRP proxy server to the EPP
server. During this process we required registrars to populate the thick EPP
Whois data required and we confirmed this action as part of our migration
steps.  The migration could not be completed by a registrar without
successfully populating the thick Whois data.

As for rate-limiting on Whois and privacy concerns:  The application for Org
and subsequent registry agreements for other TLDs included discussion of a
potential future "bulk Whois" service for parties wishing access to Whois
data.  The service was never offered to my knowledge and recollection, as
Whois data being used to enable unsolicited email was becoming a growing
concern in the industry at that time.  We developed the rate-limiting
service in both the interest of technical control and mitigation of Whois
DDOS attacks and as others have said, to reduce/discourage the active data
mining of Whois.

Michael Young

On 2013-03-26, at 9:42 AM, Marika Konings <marika.konings@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Michael Young
CTO, Architelos
michael@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
M: 647-289-1220

This e-mail and any attachments may contain confidential and privileged
information. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender
immediately by return e-mail, delete this e-mail and destroy any copies. Any
dissemination or use of this information by a person other than the intended
recipient is unauthorized and may be illegal. Unless otherwise stated,
opinions expressed in this e-mail are those of the author and are not
endorsed by the author's employer.
Le présent message, ainsi que tout fichier qui y est joint, est envoyé à
l'intention exclusive de son ou de ses destinataires; il est de nature
confidentielle et peut constituer une information privilégiée. Nous
avertissons toute personne autre que le destinataire prévu que tout examen,
réacheminement, impression, copie, distribution ou autre utilisation de ce
message et de tout fichier qui y est joint est strictement interdit. Si vous
n'êtes pas le destinataire prévu, veuillez en aviser immédiatement
l'expéditeur par retour de courriel et supprimer ce message et tout document
joint de votre système. Sauf indication contraire, les opinions exprimées
dans le présent message sont celles de l¹auteur et ne sont pas avalisées par
l¹employeur de l¹auteur.