ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-thickwhoispdp-wg]

Re: [gnso-thickwhoispdp-wg] Dangers and risks of thick Whois

  • To: Thick Whois <gnso-thickwhoispdp-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-thickwhoispdp-wg] Dangers and risks of thick Whois
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2013 12:01:46 -0800

Hi,

What is private, or should is say PRIVATE, information under one jurisdiction
is not necessarily private under another.

We cannot assume an US-centric definition of what is private as determinative.

Part of the value of the separation of Registrar and Registry is that it allows
for different jurisdictions.  Even the GNSO recognized this when it decided
that no registrar could be forced to reveal data against its national laws.
Moving all the data to the Registry eliminates these jurisdictional protections
and eliminates one of the important differentiators between registrars.

avri