ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-thickwhoispdp-wg]

Re: [gnso-thickwhoispdp-wg] Dangers and risks of thick Whois

  • To: Thick Whois <gnso-thickwhoispdp-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-thickwhoispdp-wg] Dangers and risks of thick Whois
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2013 10:01:52 -0800

On 29 Jan 2013, at 09:41, Evan Leibovitch wrote:

> Hi Volker,
>
> I do not believe that institutional domains -- that is, those owned by an
> incorporated body -- are deserving of privacy. Having said that... I'm
> generally supportive of the approach -- implemented within the Canadian ccTLD
> and elsewhere -- that provides significantly greater privacy to personal
> domains than to institutional ones.

I disagree.  There are institutions, such a battered spouse organizations or
organizations of gay activists in most of the world that can't afford to have
their information made public.

One example: I am a member and activist volunteer of APC, Association for
Progressive Communications - an Internet Human Rights group.  Its chair, who
used to be the person listed in the WHOIS, has gotten phone calls and email
death threats based on her WHOIS info, and has submitted statement on that at
some point - I will try to dig it up.

Another example: Just recently Russia passed rule that makes any publication
related to gay community or people is considered criminal.  should those
organization that work on gay issues be barred from protection because the
country that holds the thick registry does not guarantee protection for
organization of endangered peoples?  Better they should have the option of
registering with a registrar in a country that values and protects privacy not
only for individuals, but for the organizations of endangered users.

avri