ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-trans-wg]

Re: [gnso-trans-wg] Priorities Data

  • To: Ross Rader <ross@xxxxxxxxxx>, gnso-trans-wg@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-trans-wg] Priorities Data
  • From: "Mike O'Connor" <mike@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2007 09:49:40 -0600

hi Ross,

thanks for the details.  and thanks to Tim for the "anonymous" suggestion.

i'm attaching a little analysis.

i found that my top-2 picks didn't fare very well in the ranking, and was sad. but i'm perkier now. take a look at the attached PDF. i've highlighted my two favorites -- my number-1 pick ("dispute options for registrants...") and my number-2 pick ("...make information on dispute-resolution options available to registrants").

a couple observations;

- by using averages, we mask what is in fact a disagreement. many of us feel that these two items are very low priority, and a few of us think that A ("dispute options") is really important. i seem to be pretty lonely in wanting "... make info available to registrants" -- i must need educating on that one. :-)

- looking at a couple measures of dispersion (standard deviation and range) it would appear that we've got pretty substantial disagreement all the way down the line. this isn't the end of the world, but it means that we may have some work to do in coming to consensus.

- i found my rankings tended to clump into 3 broad areas -- my top picks tended to address registrant-rights and registrar-accountability issues, my middle tier wound up containing a lot of process-improvement items and my bottom-tier tended toward technical and implementation issues. if others inverted that priority, putting technical/implementation issues at the top, that might be the source of the dispersion.

- Ross, you may want to rethink giving a "19" to all of the non-responses from Person B -- that decision skewed the results pretty heavily and may have also injected more "disagreement" into the analysis than is really there.

- i like all 19 suggestions, by the way.

we may want to think about some kind of process to lobby for our favorites, and listen to the lobbying of others, with the goal of getting to a higher level of agreement.

thanks again Ross, very helpful to see the details,