ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-travel-dt]

[gnso-travel-dt] Principles for Travel Funding

  • To: gnso-travel-dt@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [gnso-travel-dt] Principles for Travel Funding
  • From: "Tim Ruiz" <tim@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 07:15:08 -0700

All, I am not able to join the meeting this morning. But given the
answers so far from Doug and Denise I suggest that Greg's principles
just be re-written to something like what I copied below. That will
leave open the question of how the constituencies assign the funds, and
does not make it rigid.

So initially, the GNSO will have to do an allocation based on estimated
per person travel (all inclusive) and the constituencies will basically
select individuals to receive it and report that back to the GNSO who
will inform ICANN. Those instructions can be supplemental to the
principles. Later, if it becomes more flexible, the constituencies may
decide to divide it up so that one person gets airfare, another gets
lodging, etc., and the supplemental instructions can be revised to
reflect that flexibility.

Also, I think the principles should refer to consitituencies for now,
and revisit the principles once we get closer to the stakeholder group
structure. We may decide that the only change needs to be to change
constituency to stakeholder group.

PRINCIPLES FOR ALLOCATION OF TRAVEL SUPPORT FUNDS FOR ICANN MEETING

Allocation and Control:

The total GNSO Travel support budget (less the amount allotted to the
NCAs and GNSO Council chair) should be divided to the extent possible on
an equal basis among the GNSO constituencies.

The use of travel support funds is for travel to ICANN meetings,
including regional, inter-sessional, and face-to-face working group
meetings.

The use of travel support funds is to be solely determined by each
constituency independently as it sees fit to most effectively progress
the work of the GNSO.

The GNSO Council has no role in deciding how these funds are allocated
to individuals.

Transparency and Reporting:

The names of all who receive travel support must be made known publicly.
 What is covered for each (e.g. air fare, accommodations, per diem - not
the dollar amounts) must also be made public.

Everyone who is supported must make known (e.g. in a report) publicly
the dates of travel, accommodations (which hotel) and meetings attended
and/or work accomplished.  Note:  This should take less than a page to
describe.

Tim