ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-users]

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Since 1999, there is a Petition for an Individual Registrant Constituency

• To: gnso-users@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Since 1999, there is a Petition for an Individual Registrant Constituency
  • Date: Sat, 01 Nov 2008 15:36:34 +1300

Dear ICANN Board members,

Thank you for the opportunity to remind the Board that a nine year old application for Individual Users' Representation on the old DNSO Council is still as valid as ever and the argumentation for the dire need for it is still unchanged.

Please refer to http://www.democracy.org.nz/idno/petition.htm and allow me to take the Board members back to the early years of ICANN, The Adlon Hotel, Berlin , August 11, 1999

I invite the Board once again to look at the ratified Charter of the IDNO, http://www.democracy.org.nz/idno/organiz.htm , an effort that was democratically accomplished within the first year of its existence, against many odds.

When there was still the hope of admission to the ICANN table, legitimate constituency membership reached 1000 members in a short time.

Please refer to the record of your Board meetings in Berlin, Montevideo and Yokohama on the issue of Registrant representation in the (then) DNSO.

Much has happened since, registrant disasters that demonstrate that self-regulation of the Registration industry is no more "stabilizing" than, say, the self-regulation of Investment Banks.

The missing counterweight at the Regulator's table only invites ever more lop-sided Registry/Registar/Registrant relationships.

ICANN will be called upon to deal with the fallout.

May I respectfully recommend to the current Board to
1. make a Public commitment to recognize a real Registrant Constituency as part of the GNSO
2. to provide a budget to promote Registrant constituency membership  and
3. allow elected representatives to sit on the GNSO Council as paid professionals.

Then an even-handed Governance can be achieved.

Joop Teernstra

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy