ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] First stab at objectives and a definition of VI

  • To: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] First stab at objectives and a definition of VI
  • From: Stéphane Van Gelder <stephane.vangelder@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2010 19:04:51 +0100

> Now that you and I have both stated the positions that kept us a loggerheads
> in the NCSG debate on this, and the reason we both wanted to be on this DT, I
> am hoping that some of he other members of the DT join in.  I would hate to
> see a repeat of our long and sometimes acrimonious debate.
>
> cheers,
>
> a.

I have to admit this is a scary start to this DT...

Anyway, working out a definition for VI seems like a reasonable approach. It
also seems reasonable to try and taylor this definition to the real-world ICANN
situation we are tasked with looking at.

So just to make sure I got this right, the definition that is being proposed at
this stage is the following?

Vertical integration is defined as a business structure in which there is no
separation between the registry operator and the registrar; they are owned and
operated by the same company and the domain name supplier is not required to
provide access to independent firms to sell names under its TLD.

Stéphane