ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] Objective 5

  • To: <Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] Objective 5
  • From: "Mike Rodenbaugh" <icann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2010 10:00:35 -0800

Where are the ISPs on this issue?

Mike Rodenbaugh
RODENBAUGH LAW
tel/fax:  +1 (415) 738-8087
http://rodenbaugh.com

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Stéphane Van Gelder
Sent: Thursday, February 25, 2010 9:52 AM
To: Rosette, Kristina
Cc: Milton L Mueller; Avri Doria; Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx

Well actually that's an interesting point, which Jeff has also made directly
to me.

I was going about this using the simplest system I could think of, which was
a one member/one vote system for DT members.

This would mean we currently have deadlock until Brian gives us the
registry's preference (can we get that soon Brian please?).

But there is also a case for using the same thresholds as those used by the
GNSO Council.

At this stage, I think the fairest way is either for the DT as a whole to
determine which system it wants to apply or for us to go back to the Council
and explain that the DT was unable to reach consensus on Obj 5 and that the
Council should determine which version goes into the charter. I for one am
not in favour of this second alternative, as I think it makes us look unable
to reach a final determination. But I do not want to argue this forever.

There is another solution: the DT could decide that I, as coordinator, am
allowed to speak my mind and vote on this as an independent member of the
team :)

Stéphane

Le 25 févr. 2010 à 18:43, Rosette, Kristina a écrit :

> That's at the Council level, not the DT level.

On Behalf Of Milton L Mueller
> Sent: Thursday, February 25, 2010 12:42 PM
> To: 'Stéphane Van Gelder'; Avri Doria
> Cc: Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx
> Subject: RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] Objective 5
>

> Right, my understanding is that if one House obtains full support and
another House has divided support (NCSG on one side, CSG on the other) that
we still have the required supermajority. If both Houses are divided,
however, then we need to find compromise language.

> Milton Mueller
> Professor, Syracuse University School of Information Studies XS4All
Professor, Delft University of Technology