ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] Objective 5

  • To: Jeff Eckhaus <eckhaus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] Objective 5
  • From: Margie Milam <Margie.Milam@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2010 12:30:01 -0800

Dear Jeff,

There are no rules on the voting methodology to approve charters in a drafting
team.   We are operating under the old PDP rules (See Annex A:
http://www.icann.org/en/general/bylaws.htm#AnnexA ), that include no terms
applicable to the voting thresholds necessary to approve a charter for a PDP.

The PDP-WG working group dedicated to developing new rules for PDP working
groups has also not produced guidelines with respect to voting procedures to
approve a charter.  See:
(http://gnso.icann.org/en/improvements/proposed-working-group-guidelines-05feb09-en.pdf).
 Instead,  it has produced the methodology (described below) to apply to
working group deliberations once the PDP has commenced.  Please note that these
guidelines have not yet been approved by the GNSO Council, and are on the
agenda for the GNSO Council's 10 March meeting in Nairobi.

Best regards,

Margie

__________________

Margie Milam
Senior Policy Counselor
ICANN
___________________

1.1.Standard Methodology for Making Decisions

The Chair will be responsible for designating each position as having one of
the following designations:

.     Unanimous consensus

.     Rough consensus - a position where a small minority disagrees but most
agree

.     Strong support but significant opposition

.     No consensus

In the case of rough consensus, strong support or no consensus, the WG Chair is
encouraged to facilitate that minority viewpoint(s) are stated and recorded.

If several participants in a WG disagree with the designation given to a
position by the Chair or any other rough consensus call, they can follow these
steps sequentially:

1.    Send email to the Chair, copying the WG explaining why the decision is
believed to be in error.

2.    If the Chair still disagrees, forward the appeal to the CO liaison(s).
The Chair must explain his or her reasoning in the response. If the liaison(s)
supports the Chair's position, forward the appeal to the CO. The liaison(s)
must explain his or her reasoning in the response. If the CO liaison disagrees
with the Chair, forward the appeal to the CO. The liaison(s) and chair must
both explain their reasoning in the response.

3.    If the CO supports the Chair and liaison's position, attach a statement
of the appeal to the Board report. If the CO does not support the Chair and
liaison's position, the CO should recommend remedial action to the Chair. This
statement should include all of the documentation from all steps in the appeals
process and should include a statement from the CO. [1] <#_ftn1>

Based upon the WG's needs and/or the Chair's direction, WG participants may
request that their names be associated explicitly with each view/position
(optional).

If a chartering organization wishes to deviate from the standard methodology
for making decisions or empower the WG to decide its own decision-making
methodology it should be affirmatively stated in the WG Charter.

Consensus calls should always involve the entire Working Group. It is the role
of the Chair to designate which level of consensus is reached and announce this
designation to the Working Group. Member(s) of the Working Group should be able
to challenge the designation of the Chair as part of the Working Group
discussion. However, if disagreement persists, members of the WG may use the
above noted process to challenge the designation.