ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] Let's slow down the discourse here

  • To: Stéphane Van Gelder <stephane.vangelder@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] Let's slow down the discourse here
  • From: Milton L Mueller <mueller@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2010 01:18:55 -0400

From: Stéphane Van Gelder [mailto:stephane.vangelder@xxxxxxxxx]

I don't even understand why you are making the points your make in your first 2
paragraphs.

That's unfortunate.

I never suggested that a small group of people should have "first-to-the-WG"
advantage. I said that the conversations that have started should not be
stifled just because the deadline for volunteers hasn't passed yet.

And I never said that any conversations should be stifled. My second message,
are based on more than a decade of experience with ICANN and how it operates.
It doesn't hurt to remind people that others are still joining the WG and we
need to respect the fundaments of an open WG, which is that everyone in it has
equal status and we start work at a defined time, which is _after_ the date
specified as the deadline for volunteering. i.e., tomorrow.

As far as the group's official business goes, I have compiled an agenda for the
meeting next week which clearly lays out the points the group needs to address.

Appreciate your work as interim chair. Obviously the next step is to select a
chair for the WG.

--MM