ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Let's slow down the discourse here

  • To: Milton L Mueller <mueller@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Let's slow down the discourse here
  • From: Stéphane Van Gelder <stephane.vangelder@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2010 10:52:48 +0100

Hi Milton,

I don't even understand why you are making the points your make in your first 2
paragraphs. I never suggested that a small group of people should have
"first-to-the-WG" advantage. I said that the conversations that have started
should not be stifled just because the deadline for volunteers hasn't passed
yet.

As far as the group's official business goes, I have compiled an agenda for the
meeting next week which clearly lays out the points the group needs to address.

If you have been following the group's discussions, you may have seen that
there have been a couple of suggestions on the list for some proposed agenda
points not to be discussed. I argued that we leave those agenda points in there
and if, during the call, the group does not want to discuss, then we won't. But
that we do not discard those points beforehand simply because a couple of
people are vocal on the list ahead of the WG being complete (that to me would
be putting the cart before the horse).

But as far as discussion goes, I think there has been some useful discussion on
the list so far and I see no reason to stifle that. Indeed, there have been
some really useful suggestions, like Jeff Neuman volunteering to compile a list
of questions. I know you agree that these are useful, as you have reprinted
those questions in your latest blog post. So should we have put off Jeff's
compilation until next week? I see no reason why.

Thanks,

Stéphane