ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] FW: Application to join Vertical Integration Working Group

  • To: "'Antony Van Couvering'" <avc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] FW: Application to join Vertical Integration Working Group
  • From: "Michael D. Palage" <michael@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 05:23:38 -0400

Anthony,

ICANN is all about openness and transparency perhaps you have read the
bylaws or Affirmation of Commitment. May I refer you to the mailing list
archives available here, http://forum.icann.org/lists/gnso-vi-feb10/ as they
hold the answers to your questions.

Question #1: Am I the chair.

Answer: No. If you would have read the mailing list or perhaps even the wiki
of this Working Group you would have seen that the selection of the chair is
scheduled for our first call this week. In fact to date there has been only
one nomination for chair Mikey O'Conner.

Question #2: With regard to my remuneration in connection with this Working
Group.

Answer: Zero, zip, nada, none (your choice). Again if you had taken the time
to read the mailing list archives you would have seen not only my personal
interest statement but a rather detailed explanation of previously positions
that I have taken in connection with this subject matter both paid and pro
bono in connection with regard to this subject matter. Just ask Jon Nevett
or John Berryhill for a brief summary of my advocacy on this point over the
last 3-4 years. For your benefit here is a link to the mailing list archives
http://forum.icann.org/lists/gnso-vi-feb10/msg00408.html.

With regard to the tirades that you and Mr Kruger engaged in calling into
question my creditability during the last EOI public forum. Let me try to
clear up any confusion. While Afilias pays me as a consultant in connection
with various operational matters such as the reallocation of Sunrise Names
and the allocation of single and double character .INFO domain names, this
PDP is not such a matter. Again if you would have taken the time to engage
in even de minimis research you would have seen that during the ICANN
webinar on this subject matter I actually submitted an independent proposal
that conflicted (yes conflicted) with the proposal submitted by Afilias.
Imagine that?

With regard to you and Mr. Kruger's other tirades about me being an VeriSign
shill in connection with my role as an Adjunct Fellow for The Progress &
Freedom Foundation (http://www.pff.org). I have received no direct or
indirect remuneration from VeriSign. If anyone at the M+M or TLDH bothered
to read the full PFF website you might have seen that some other small
supporters (http://www.pff.org/about/supporters.html) of the PFF such as
Time Warner, Comcast, Verizon, AT&T to name just a few, also filed similar
comments in connection with the EOI as I did. However, of course you and Mr.
Kruger always put facts first, and would never want to raise the big bad
VeriSign bogey man to bias a discussion?

Notwithstanding receiving no direct or indirect compensation from VeriSign,
one client that has retained my services in connection with a pending gTLD
application had already opted to use VeriSign as a backend provider in
connection with their application.

Anthony the whole reason I engaged in this exchange with you was for the
group to understand that TLDH has an interest in achieving no change in the
ICANN Nairobi resolution because in your own words this resolution "clearly
benefits any registry or potential registry which is not substantially
entangled in the registrar business." While achieving consensus in ICANN is
never an easy task when there are clear economic benefits to one party over
another, the chair needs to be aware of this fact to properly weigh and
document these interests in any final work product.

Best regards,

Michael Palage