ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] Idea of Phasing

  • To: <Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] Idea of Phasing
  • From: "Roberto Gaetano" <roberto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 12:33:12 +0100

I think we do not need to wait for the Board's answer to the questions,
quite the contrary.
I believe it was a good idea to send the questions in first place. This WG
has the right and duty to raise these questions, and highlight to the Board
that there will be some latitude in interpretation of the language.
This said, from my experience on the Board, I tend to doubt that the Board
will say: "Gee, you're right! Let's drop everything else we are doing and
clarify this ASAP for you!". So I am not holding my breath to wait for a
rapid answer. The answer will eventually come, but I would strongly
recommend not to wait for it as a prerequisite before doing some substantial
work.

Even if there is disagreement on Objective 5, I believe that there is strong
consensus at least on Objective 1, which states:

To make policy recommendations that provide clear direction to ICANN staff
and new gTLD applicants on whether, and if so under what conditions,
contracts for new gTLD registries can permit vertical integration ...

To me, these policy recommendations are by and large independent from what
the Board will do in absence of our recommendations. In simple words, we
should do our job, and not wonder what will happen if we don't do our job.
And as co-chair of this group I will do my best to concentrate on the task.
Best regards,
Roberto