ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] 360 Degree Market Analysis with a focus on the consumer

  • To: Jeff Eckhaus <eckhaus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] 360 Degree Market Analysis with a focus on the consumer
  • From: Antony Van Couvering <avc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 19:19:14 -0400

Jeff is right. Let's stick to the issue at hand, which is what percentage, if
any, an ICANN-accredited registrar can own a registry, or vice-versa.  At least
as a legal fiction, there will always be a registrar.  If there were no
restrictions on cross-ownership, that registrar could be an arm of the registry.

I note that there is no official recognition of a "registry operator."
Currently there is nothing preventing a registry operator from providing
registry services for "brand" TLD *and* being the registrar providing services
for it.   That seems to me to solve the issue there, unless the brand wants to
run its own registry services.   This will appeal only to the very paranoid,
very savvy, or very naive.

As yet no-one has articulated a reason why there should be any separation at
all.  The staff has put out a fully articulated position for no restriction,
and I have seen no-one come up with good reasons why they are wrong.  I rather
like that as a baseline.

The 15% restriction, or 12%, or 20%, are wholly arbitrary limits which are not
supported by any evidence or research showing that these limits accomplish
anything useful. If they did in the past, that time has gone.  The only reason
that I can see to like them is that they are what exists today -- in other
words, they are comfortable for incumbent registries and registrars.

No restriction on ownership clearly gets rid of lots of the hypotheticals, so
ably imagined, that threaten to lead us down various rabbit holes.   What's
wrong with it?  Put another way, what's the point of cross-ownership
restrictions?

So far I've seen nothing to change my mind that the best solutions are either
(a) get rid of all restrictions, subject perhaps to a 40 - 60% capture of the
market by one player, or (b) keep the total restriction voted by the Board.
These at least have the virtue of simplicity.

Antony