ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] 360 Degree Market Analysis with a focus on the consumer

  • To: "Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx" <Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] 360 Degree Market Analysis with a focus on the consumer
  • From: Jeff Eckhaus <eckhaus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 15:44:56 -0700

I have been following this line of discussion and reading and re-reading the
survey and its examples and have hesitated on commenting until the end of the
"two week period"  but am a little concerned about the direction of the
arguments and where we are heading.

I understand the need to think outside the box and explore scenarios and do 360
degree market analysis , but believe we still need to keep within the
Objectives of this WG. This Working Group is here to analyze and review options
for registry- registrar separation and equivalent and non-discriminatory
access. I see the line of questioning here pointing toward an option of not
having to use an ICANN accredited registrar. This is not an option and believe
it was resolved with Recommendation 19. The requirement that all new TLD
registries are required to use ICANN accredited registrar as distributors of
their service. This should not be a new or offensive thought, since all it
means is the entity would need to sign and be bound by an RAA.

Now I know there are certain people in this working group that were very much
against Recommendation 19 and strongly argued against it. I hope that this WG
is not being used as an avenue to re-open that discussion for people who were
not happy with the decisions.

I am not saying that we should not undertake analysis and do what this WG feels
is best for the consumer, but we must focus on the tasks at hand and avoid
scope creep. I personally have an issue with the question regarding my company
eNom. While I understand it is hypothetical , I do not see the question
relating to registry - registrar separation. The question that I am reading,
and is asking this WG if I am concerned with on Hypothetical # 8 is if it is OK
for eNom to keep premium names for its exclusive use.  All this hypothetical
does is put eNom in an unflattering position and not address separation.
While I know there is a disclaimer in the beginning saying that this
hypothetical and only meant to stimulate conversation, that disclaimer to me is
the equivalent of saying "With all due respect" right before you insult someone.

I do appreciate the steps to think outside the box and have people look at
hypothetical scenarios, all I ask we look at ones that are germane to this
working group.

Thanks

Jeff