ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] 360 Degree Market Analysis with a focus on the consumer

  • To: "'Michele Neylon :: Blacknight'" <michele@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] 360 Degree Market Analysis with a focus on the consumer
  • From: "Michael D. Palage" <michael@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 18:41:05 -0400

Michele,

With regard to Comcast they currently offer me a free email and small web
storage package. They are also one of the first major US ISPs to roll out
IPV6 so there might be able to provide me some IPSEC/digital cert services
to offer me to secure access to my home network while on the road. Right now
I have the email address michael@xxxxxxxxxx which my 10 year old son seems
to want, michael@palage.comcast would probably appeal to him. My old ISP
AT&T use to bundle free access to wireless hotspots.

With regard to what innovative features Comcast, AT&T and other ISPs might
be able to offer how about we let them surprise us, and not require them to
prove their business model before giving them a change. The following text
is an excerpt from a power point slide presentation the UPU gave in
connection with the .POST TLD:

"You're intending to make a ship sail against the wind and tide by lighting
a fire below deck? I don't have time to listen to that kind of nonsense."
                The French Emperor Napoleon on the plans of Robert Fulton to
design a steam boat.

"Radio is such a fashion contrivance that will soon die out. It is obvious
that there will never be invented a proper receiver."
                Thomas Edison, American Inventor

"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home."
                Ken Olsen, founder of Digital Equipment, in 1977

"Are you finding that the Internet is a big thing?"
                Jane Hulbert , McDonald's media person in 1994

"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new
discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny."
                 Isaac Asimov

I hope this is sufficiently logical to you to enable certain entities to try
and provide direct registration services to their existing customers?

Best regards,

Michael