ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Re: Consolidated Response to Jeff & Anthony

  • To: "'avc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <avc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'Michael@xxxxxxxxxx'" <Michael@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Re: Consolidated Response to Jeff & Anthony
  • From: "Neuman, Jeff" <Jeff.Neuman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2010 08:20:39 -0400

Antony,

Just a correction without commenting on the substance. We are doing this as
part of the pdp process. The fact that there is a board resolution is
irrelevant to this group (as I have been told a number of times when asking
what the resolution stated).

All, let's not take our eye off the ball. We are doing a pdp here. If we want
to examine policy about whether or not to have registrars, we should be free to
do so as we are not bound by recommendation 19 or whatever it was of the new
gTLD process. That recommendation too is irrelevant to this pdp.

Unlike the sti group, our role is not to respond to the board. Our role is to
define policy, study its implications, do the analysis and research etc. If we
want to come up with a phased approach to come up with a short term solution
and then look long term, we can do that too. But, anything we come up with in
the short term, must be pretty close to what exists today (with possible
limited exceptions). Anything else we come up with in a short time period would
not be consistent with a pdp process.

I also caution all contracted parties (and want to be contracted parties). We
all live and die by the pdp process. We agree that for things in the picket
fence to the pdp amending our agreements. The pdp process must be followed and
respected. To do otherwise sets a precedent that is both unnecessary and
dangerous. How would people feel if short cuts wre taken on amendments to the
RAA pdp????

Staff - is there an update on the opening up of the first public comment
period? Time is running.....
Jeffrey J. Neuman, Esq.
Vice President, Law & Policy
NeuStar, Inc.