ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Re: Consolidated Response to Jeff & Anthony

  • To: "Neuman, Jeff" <Jeff.Neuman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Re: Consolidated Response to Jeff & Anthony
  • From: Jon Nevett <jon@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2010 09:18:29 -0400

I have to disagree with Jeff on one point.  He seems to imply that because this
is a PDP, we have free reign to raise any policy issues.  That is not the case.
 We are a working group chartered by the GNSO Council, and our discussions need
to be constrained by that charter.  If the Council wanted us to revisit its
decision in Recommendation 19
(http://gnso.icann.org/issues/new-gtlds/pdp-dec05-fr-parta-08aug07.htm), it
would have specifically said so in our Charter
(http://gnso.icann.org/issues/vertical-integration/vi-chartered-objectives-10mar10-en.pdf).
   It didn't.

I think that we need to put this on our agenda for our next meeting to
determine whether folks on this WG think that we should be re-tackling this
divergent issue, or whether there is a consensus on not spending cycles
re-arguing Council's decision in Recommendation 19.  If there are enough folks
on the WG who want to re-open the issue and believe that Council intended us to
review its decision in Recommendation 19, then we should send a clarifying
question to Council similar to the questions we asked the Board to determine if
that is the case.

Cognizant of Objective 6 in our Charter ("Objective 6: To perform the PDP
activities in a manner that does not delay the launch of the New GTLD
Program."), I would hope that the answer of the WG and Council (if necessary)
would be to focus specifically on the vertical integration/cross ownership
issue and not use this PDP as an opportunity to re-open pet issues that already
have been decided, thereby causing a delay in our work.

Thanks.

Jon