ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] RE: Consolidated Response to Jeff & Anthony

  • To: "Neuman, Jeff" <Jeff.Neuman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] RE: Consolidated Response to Jeff & Anthony
  • From: Jon Nevett <jon@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2010 11:47:15 -0400

Jeff:

Is your position really that registrars don't have any obligations under the
RAA and existing Consensus Policies, and that we should do away with Whois
requirements for a segment of domain names?

As I have mentioned in a prior post, there are numerous obligations on
registrars and consumer protections in the RAA and the various Consensus
Policies (whois requirements, data retention, UDRP, etc.).  I will simply refer
you to the RAA itself
(http://www.icann.org/en/registrars/ra-agreement-21may09-en.htm) and to a list
of Consensus Policies (http://www.icann.org/en/general/consensus-policies.htm).
  When you read through them, think about every obligation that currently is on
a registrar that would not exist if registrars didn't exist.  If ICANN permits
some kind of vertical integration for single registrant TLDs, then you are
correct that the RAA obligations could be incorporated into a registry
agreement, making that entity both a registry and a registrar.

Thanks.

Jon