ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] RE: Consolidated Response to Jeff & Anthony

  • To: Jon Nevett <jon@xxxxxxxxxx>, Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] RE: Consolidated Response to Jeff & Anthony
  • From: Richard Tindal <richardtindal@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2010 09:26:49 -0600

Want to emphasize some points Jon made in his last paragraph (below) because I
don't think they're understood by everyone in the group - and they impact some
of the issues we're discussing.

Use of registrars and equivalent treatment of registrars rules don't mean a
registry has to sell names to the public  (i.e.  they allow a registry to
operate as a single-registrant TLD).

They also don't mean a registry is at the mercy of registrars' business models
and practices.  If you're selling to the public you can set quite detailed
standards for how registrars must operate with your TLD.    You're not obliged
to use a registrar who chooses not to meet that standard.

Just wanted to make sure everyone understands this.

RT