ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] RE: Consolidated Response to Jeff & Anthony

  • To: Richard Tindal <richardtindal@xxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] RE: Consolidated Response to Jeff & Anthony
  • From: Stéphane Van Gelder <stephane.vangelder@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2010 17:05:49 +0100

> Use of registrars and equivalent treatment of registrars rules don't mean a
> registry has to sell names to the public  (i.e.  they allow a registry to
> operate as a single-registrant TLD).

Thanks Richard for highlighting that point. It's very true, and probably also
true that there is a fair amount of confusion about this. Clearly, the brand
TLD model that we have been discussing these past few days on the list DOES NOT
go against GNSO rec 19. As stated before, it is only when names are distributed
(i.e. an entity other than the registry is able to own names in the TLD) that
rec 19 comes into play, and I agree that we should not revisit that.

Stéphane