ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] Question to WG on RAA

  • To: Eric Brunner-Williams <ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] Question to WG on RAA
  • From: Milton L Mueller <mueller@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 15:23:09 -0400

Let me be radical here, just to make it clear that I'm not in the slightest
afraid to go where logic and good policy leads.

>From a pure consumer perspective, market share is irrelevant. A new tld either
>appeals to consumers or it does not. The fact that VeriSign runs .com does not
>mean that its new idea, say .gomes, is guaranteed to be a success. If VeriSign
>enjoys economies of scale due to running .com, and thus can profitably charge
>lower prices and offer better service, then why not let consumers benefit from
>those lower prices and better service? It may be on the other hand, that the
>growth of .com produces diseconomies after a certain point, especially when
>DNSSEC is involved.

Handicapping one potential competitor in order to increase the success chances
of another, smaller one is anti-consumer even though it may help a certain
class of suppliers. Subsidized and protected suppliers tend not to be good for
end users.

There are issues related to the cross-subsidization of .gomes or other new TLDs
(say, .gomes in Chinese characters) from .com, which could undermine
competition. Especially given the clear mindshare dominance of .com and its
ability to charge premium rates. If you want to make a sophisticated case for
hampering VeriSign I would suggest that direction. It obviously does not apply
to .biz, which, despite its resemblance to a perfectly good laundry detergent
brand, does not seem to be able to raise its rates the same way.

That being said, in a "consensus" policy making environment, I suspect that it
would not be hard to gain rough consensus among the monkeys on excluding the
gorilla.

--MM