ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] VI in practice, Rights Protection Mechanisms, Registry Agreements and Variants of TLDs

  • To: "'Milton L Mueller'" <mueller@xxxxxxx>, "'Avri Doria'" <avri@xxxxxxx>, <Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] VI in practice, Rights Protection Mechanisms, Registry Agreements and Variants of TLDs
  • From: "Michael D. Palage" <michael@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2010 10:10:34 -0400

Milton/Avri,

As a long time proponent of single registrant TLDs, this is an issue I did
not fully account for. However, I believe it is one that can be addressed. A
UDRP gives a complainant two potential options if they prevail, transfer or
cancellation. Back during the original Sunrise Bulk Challenge process
brought by Afilias, most challengers brought administrative challenges
against Sunrise names and asked for a transfer. However, if the prevailing
challenger did not himself/herself have qualified trademark rights, the
domain name was cancelled. I see the same net effect here in Fred's hypo.

A true story, Apple in the last couple of weeks brought the trademark iPad
from Fujitsu. Let suppose they didn't purchase these rights and Apple
included ipad.apple as a second level domain name in a .APPLE TLD, and
Fujitsu filed a UDRP and won. If Fujitsu had requested a transfer of the
domain name through the UDRP, the Apple registry operator would
simultaneously transfer the domain name, and cancel it at the same time
since Fujitsu would not be in compliance with the terms of the .APPLE
registry (aka single registrant/brand TLD). This simple operational approach
allows the world to continue to revolve around its axis without having to
make an existing modification to the UDRP.

While this is not an insurmountable problem, it would be good for the group
to flesh out more of these operation issues to provide guidance in any
implementation document that ICANN prepares.

Best regards,

Michael