ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] What do we mean by "single registrant"?

  • To: "Neuman, Jeff" <Jeff.Neuman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] What do we mean by "single registrant"?
  • From: Antony Van Couvering <avc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2010 13:45:24 -0700

This is so easily gamed as to be risible.  Example:

I become a brand by registering a trademark. I then get a number of "vendors"
who "buy" something from me for, say, $10/yr.  I then "allocate" them a domain
name, with an agreement that they are used for "specific purpose."    These
names are "non-transferrable," but I can delete them and "allocate" them to
someone else.

Antony