ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] What do we mean by "single registrant"?

  • To: "Michael D. Palage" <michael@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] What do we mean by "single registrant"?
  • From: "Tim Ruiz" <tim@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2010 14:36:31 -0700

Your putting words in my mouth, but I'm sure that's not intentional ;)

My concern is that all registries have the same rules regarding the use
of accredited registrars, carving out one business model over another
certainly could create unfair competition.  Whatever this WG recommends
it should 1) follow the policy we spent 2+ years developing, and 2)
consider ICANN's committment in section 2.4 of the RAA to abide by the
policy.

As I said, I wish we had given more thought in general to allowing TMs
and Brands to become gTLDs. My concerns with that have more to do with
the evident power of the IP lobby within ICANN's processes than anything
else. My personal belief is that it will come back and bite us all in
the ass later. But that's really not in scope for this WG.

Tim