ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] VI Use Case Template, Single Registrant TLDs

  • To: Milton L Mueller <mueller@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] VI Use Case Template, Single Registrant TLDs
  • From: Antony Van Couvering <avc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2010 15:30:52 -0700

Am I missing something?   It's all very well to use IBM as an example, but how
about others, easy to create, that fit the same pattern?

Example:

I form Multivariate Uniform Surprising Interminable Cacophony, Inc. (MUSIC).  I
apply for .MUSIC.  I have a trademark, of course.  My "members", who, like
Sam's Club, pay me a tiny membership fee to join, are now part of my
organization - maybe I give them a tiny voting share as well to make it
official.  My terms and conditions *strictly* specify that they must use the
name for something that is multivariate, uniform, surprising, interminable, or
cacophonous.   The name is not detachable from the company, but the current
member may request that a new member be given the name when s/he gives it back
to MUSIC, which request (surprise!) is invariably granted.

I have now followed all the rules and created an SR gTLD that looks and acts
just like a regular gTLD.  Differences: I may not have to pay the registry fee
to ICANN, and my members definitely don't have to pay the registrar fee.

I don't disagree that maybe IBM shouldn't have to use a registrar, but your
definition of SR registry operator as a "company" is too loose to be of use.

BTW, the interests of prospective SR TLD operators can be as easily represented
here as those of non-SR TLD operators, and furthermore, from I can see, they
*are* in fact being represented here by certain members of this WG.

Antony

P.S. If the objection is that I can't get a trademark for "music," I say that
ICANN is filled with very capable trademark attorneys who can get me a
trademark for anything, somewhere.