ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] VI Use Case Template, Single Registrant TLDs

  • To: Richard Tindal <richardtindal@xxxxxx>, "Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx" <Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] VI Use Case Template, Single Registrant TLDs
  • From: Milton L Mueller <mueller@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2010 02:31:37 -0400

I agree - that is NOT the distinction we want to make.

> If AMEX can operate with one, self-owned registrar and no registrar fees
> for second level .AMEX names,  can I have this same model for second
> level .BLOG names?

Are you
a) directly assigning the names to people within your own organization and not
charging?
b) selling them to third parties at their own request and initiative?
c) giving them away to third parties at their own request and initiative?

I think we'd both agree that if b) is the case, you're a vertically integrated
registryar (neat term, eh?) and should pay the same ICANN fees as other
industry competitors in that market. We should, however, have a long term
discussion about what those fees are and whether the playing field is tilted or
level for integrated and separated firms.

I think we'd both agree, also, that if a) is the case, there is no need for
registrars and the whole registrar-registry fee model doesn't make a lot of
sense. You have suggested that such entities should pay the same registrar fees
anyway. Imho that is not an unreasonable position, because of the possibilities
of gaming, but I am not favorable to it and would like to find a way to avoid
it without opening the door to gaming.

The difficult issues revolve around c).

--MM