ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] What do we mean by "single registrant"?

  • To: Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] What do we mean by "single registrant"?
  • From: Volker Greimann - Key-Systems GmbH <vgreimann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2010 18:38:51 +0200

I also tend to agree partially here. What we need now as a first step, and what we may just be able to develop in the short time we have available, is a one-size-fits-all set of conditions in which VI and/or CO may be possible and/or desirable for all cases.

If we try to develop a seperate policy for each of the proposed applicant groups and the as of yet not included groups, we would most likely not be able to find an answer to the objectives of the WG in time for the next ICANN meeting. After we have a basic outline on where we are going to end up, we can start worrying about special needs of particular applicant types. Naturally, it makes sense to test the proposed set of conditions against as many proposed applications as possible and look for possible loopholes, but we will get nowhere by starting to paint the little details before we work out what the grand picture could be.

Regarding the issue of single registrant TLDs, I feel this is very dangerous territory as making special concessions here will allow plenty of opportunitiers of gaming the system, and any special considerations for this group should therefore be handled very restrictively. We should therefore build a system of rules that applies to all applicants and then worry about the special cases.

Best regards,

Volker A. Greimann

Key-Systems GmbH

I concur with Tim on this point.  The amount of gaming and nefarious
behavior that could occur -- some examples have been posted to this list --
is so vast that I do not believe that this WG has adequate time to properly
address the breadth of the issues that surround this particular topic.

Ronald N. Andruff
RNA Partners, Inc.