ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

[gnso-vi-feb10] Single Registrant TLDs

  • To: Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [gnso-vi-feb10] Single Registrant TLDs
  • From: Richard Tindal <richardtindal@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2010 12:50:56 +1000

All,

We may be getting a little wrapped around the axle on this topic (this is
no-one's fault as it's complex) so I'd like to take a shot at summarizing where
it stands.

We're not debating whether or not Single Registrant (SR) TLDs should be
allowed.   They are allowed  -- and have been allowed from the first version of
the DAG.      Any registry can register names just to itself and no registry is
required to provide open access to registrars.

Also, no rule we devise will prevent SR TLDs.   We're making rules about who
can own registries and registrars, not about who can own domains.  An SR TLD
can exist if we recommend zero cross ownership and it can exist if we recommend
100% cross ownership.

What we're debating is whether or not,  in order to register its names,   an SR
TLD registry must be accredited as a registrar  (and, importantly,  pay the
fees that accompany that registrar accreditation).  This is the area of
contention.

If anyone feels I've mischaracterized the issue please jump in.

Also, I agree with the argument Volker made yesterday.    I think we should
first see if we can find a rule-set that suits all types of registries.  This
may be possible.   If we find the overall rule-set doesn't suit a particular
registry-type then we can drill down on exception cases.

RT