ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] What do we mean by "single registrant"?

  • To: Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] What do we mean by "single registrant"?
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2010 00:44:09 -0400

Hi,

Yes I understood that from Jeff's message
http://forum.icann.org/lists/gnso-vi-feb10/msg00672.html which was reiterated
in http://forum.icann.org/lists/gnso-vi-feb10/msg00670.html.

What I tried to say then (of course just my opinion in reply  :
http://forum.icann.org/lists/gnso-vi-feb10/msg00672.html ) though perhaps
unsuccessfully is that the policy we send forward should cover all new gTLDs
and all applicants though until we understand the new policy we won't
understand what we need to do to establish parity for incumbents.  I accept
that parity be established.

I think  that figuring out  how this would be worked out in terms of the
details, wherein the devils reside, would take longer.  i think it is ultra
complex because it is not just Neustar we need to worry about but all of the
existing registries and registrars with their varying contractual conditions.
I worked on a contractual conditions PDP once with some of you and I remember
the pain - and that was just registries.  I also remember working on RAA
changes, another bit of pain remembered.  So I am a bit shy about accepting
that we can get new contractual conditions resolved very quickly.  But it could
happen, what do I know? I agree it has to happen.

So, if we were to reach consensus on a policy that applied to all applicants
(including those who happened to be incumbent) that could be sent for approval
while we were working out details on exactly how this would apply to
incumbents, I thought that was, perhaps, a necessary efficiency.  If, however,
working out all of the details must be done first to reach rough consensus,
then i guess we either better hurry or the policy change beyond 0CO will just
have to wait until we finish the detailed work.

To reiterate, i personally agree that in principle, Ry and Rr incumbents should
be included in any solution for new gTLDs in so far as they are applicants and
in so far as we come up with a policy other then 0CO that goes beyond VI
limited to SR and CCL and similar variants, but the details may take a bit more
work.  But if that work is required for a rough consensus solution, then it is
required for a rough consensus solution, what can I say?  I just hoped we could
make an in principle decision on the policy in phase 1 and get to the nitty
gritty  of how current contractual conditions are changed for the incumbents in
the intervening time - but still before applications opened.

This says nothing about confirming whether we have the correct issues report
and PDP mandate in order to make recommendation about changing contractual
conditions in our current charter.  I cannot count the times Jeff has
admonished me in the past on the care that one needed to take in any PDP that
would modify contractual conditions.

a.