ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] The need to evaluate options in a consistent manner

  • To: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] The need to evaluate options in a consistent manner
  • From: Jon Nevett <jon@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2010 15:42:05 -0400

Avri:

I am all for interpretations.

Recommendation 19 says the following:

"Registries must use only ICANN accredited registrars in registering domain
names and may not discriminate among such accredited registrars."

I have supported the interpretation of 19 that says it doesn't mean that
registries must use all registrars in registering domain names.  A registry may
select among various registrars based on criteria, as long as they provide
equal access.

I have a really hard time seeing an interpretation of Rec. 19 that permits a
sub-section of registries to register domain names without the use of any
registrars whatsoever.  Again, it doesn't say that the registry itself could
not act as a registrar.

I guess you could try to interpret the clause "in registering domain names" and
argue that a SR is not registering domain names when it is using them itself.
That argument, however, would go against a long history of registry agreements
that provides that ROs are not prohibited from "registering names within the
TLD to itself through a request made to an ICANN-accredited registrar."  (See
.biz registry agreement 7.1(b) emphasis added).

I think it is hard to avoid the fact that some folks are looking for an
exception to Recommendation 19 for SRs.  My points are that such an exception
1) it isn't necessary -- the SR could perform the registrar function; 2) is an
issue outside of our scope -- the GNSO already decided this one; 3) would
create a host of unintended consequences -- e.g. applicability of issues in the
RAA and Consensus Policies if there were no registrars; and 4) would derail our
work and cause a needless delay in New TLDs.

The RyC statement below just shows that it has had concerns with Recommendation
19 since before it was approved, not that it is subject to over-creative
interpretation on this point.

Thanks.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Best,