ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] The need to evaluate options in a consistent manner

  • To: Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] The need to evaluate options in a consistent manner
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2010 16:02:24 -0400

On 9 Apr 2010, at 15:42, Jon Nevett wrote:

> The RyC statement below just shows that it has had concerns with
> Recommendation 19 since before it was approved, not that it is subject to
> over-creative interpretation on this point.

Just to be sure the quote I gave is not just from the Registry Constituency
statement but from the body of the text explaining R19.  And it went further
then stating the opinion of the Registries, it also included mention of the
fact that the registries and registrars where, at that point reportedly
negotiating the very issue we are discussing now.  I guess I can understand
from the state of the current conversation that nothing was ever resolved, but
when we voted on the recommendations, including 19, it was with the
understanding that more information and discussion would be needed to fully
resolve R19.  We just did not want to hold anything up while the sides
negotiated.  And here we now are, worrying about holding anything up, yet again.

But yes, I agree, our interpretations of R19 disagree.  And I was just letting
people know what I think  I voted for since people were speaking about what
might have been on the minds of those voting.  As I remembered what I thought
at the time, I thought I would add it to the mix.

As for Registries becoming accredited Registrars, assuming the cross ownership
issue and the distribution of one's own TLD issue are resolved, it is a
possible resolution to this quandary.  I personally think it might be overly
bureaucratic and force new registries to take on unnecessary obligations, but
yes, it appears to be a possiblity.

> Have a great weekend everyone!

does that mean we have to stop working on this?

cheers

a.