ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Question on Proposals

  • To: Richard Tindal <richardtindal@xxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Question on Proposals
  • From: Eric Brunner-Williams <ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2010 10:44:34 -0400

You're welcome Richard.

It seems to me that the 1% questions, a cap of 1% and a cap of 99%,
have to be asked, and if any point of meaningful difference from the
0% cap (Board Res. #5) and 100% cap (various) can be identified,
discussed.

Somewhere between these margins, and we are in effect discussing how
many equal and independent "votes" are needed to create a stable
policy (registrar business policy) making body. At CORE we've 5 on our
ExCom, though only 4 at present, with member elections schedule, and a
choice of odd numbers to prevent deadlock starts at 3 and runs to
one's choice for manageability, let us say 15, that gives caps from
33.3% to 6.6%.

The body of N must avoid preference to some of N, be competitive with
other registrars with other ownership structures, such as yours or
mine, and effectively distribute their owner's inventories, so that
their owners are competitive with other registries having other
distribution channel ownership participation models, e.g., "none", or
some other shared registrar(s).

I suspect that advocacy positions ignored, there is sufficient
expertise in the corporate board formation problem in the working
group to adequately address the problem.

If such a model of minority ownership by registries in registrars is
assumed, there is the question of whether a case for exception to
Recommendation 19 exists, and what characterizes this rational(s) for
exception(s).

As there are two equivalencies frequently offered as solutions to the
problem of registries lacking registrars, exception in time and
exception in volume, it seems desirable to me that there is discussion
of large and small values for each, to find if there are points at
which these are distinguished from never-or-none and always-and-all,
time and numbers, respectively.

Eric