ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] Single Registrant TLDs

  • To: "'Eric Brunner-Williams'" <ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'Jothan Frakes'" <jothan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] Single Registrant TLDs
  • From: "Michael D. Palage" <michael@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2010 09:44:41 -0400

Eric,

The letter from Tim Switzer is rather straight forward, I do not understand
why you question the "correctness" of it.  In fact NeuStar's decision not to
raise prices was an event that I personally followed as well, to see if
there would be a repeat of the .NET dynamics after VRSN dropped its prices.
While I did not engage in a comprehensive "inventory pricing" to registrar
analysis, I can confirm that I saw no passing of savings along to
registrants in the major registrars that I surveyed. Additionally, you can
review the gTLD statistics at the ICANN dashboard as see that the growth
curve of .BIZ in comparison with .INFO and .ORG (that did raise prices) was
rather flat.

Given that there are over 20 registrar participants on this working group, I
would welcome any registrars that might have evidence to contradict the
correctness of Tim Switzer's statement.

Best regards,

Michael