ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] RE: Innovative Proposal - Jeff E response

  • To: "Jeff Eckhaus" <eckhaus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] RE: Innovative Proposal - Jeff E response
  • From: "Kathy Kleiman" <kKleiman@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 23:17:09 -0400

Hi Jeff,

I appreciate the question, and you have, of course, reached the crux of
the issue: So what are the dangers of cross-ownership?  It seemed worth
a little time to gather thoughts and put them in together for you.

If you would allow me , I would like to rephrase the question from a
negative to a positive: What are the benefits of a
structurally-separated model? What about the Registry-Registrar system
today is beneficial and helps create a level playing field among
ICANN-accredited registrars? What might we lose by changing to a system
of full vertical integration?

Exclusive position of the Registry

The Registry, as you know, is in an exclusive position. There is only
one Registry in the world that operates .ORG; there is only one registry
in the world that will operate .MUSIC, .SHOE and .ROCKS in the future.
That's an exclusive and privileged position, and in our community, it
includes duties and responsibilities.
Now within a Registry I am coming to understand the depth and breadth of
the data we collect and  the complexity of the operations we run - and
the extent of our work with both data and operations  as potential
competitive uses, and which we must provide equally and fairly -- to
create a level playing field for all registrars and to foster and
support the  full and fair competitive process between registrars.
Among other forms of valuable domain name data, we have:

A)      Customer detail for all registrants: we are a thick registry and
hold the data for all our domain name registrants.  Thus, we know all
the .ORG customers of Registrar A, Registrar B and Registrar C. This
data is accessible in the Whois, but we hold the master database, and
could easily run searches of this data for competitive reasons if we
chose (for example, to show Registrar A all of Registrar B's customers).
We don't because that would be unfair: we are bound to treat Registrar A
the same as Registrar B and protect their data equally. In addition, we
have no incentive to share this data in a competitive way: it is our
contractual responsibility and duty to treat all registrars, and their
customer data, equally and fairly.

B)      EPP data: This data of the Extensive Provisioning Protocol
provides a stunning overview of activities and interest in the TLD
space, including when someone checks domain name availability, creates a
domain name, drops a domain name, and updates a domain name. This is
invaluable data for marketing and sales . Yet, we would never show
Registrar A the names being most queried from across the world  because
that would give Registrar A a competitive advantage over Registrars B, C
and D. We are bound to treat all registrars fairly and protect their
data equally.

C)      Dropped Names Data: We know before anyone else before anyone
else, other than the dropping registrar. We also know in what order the
domain names will be dropped, and the confidential algorithm by which we
drop them.  One can easily imagine a system in which one or two
registrars are favored in a drop, but we don't do that. Our goal, and
obligation, is to provide all registrars with equal access to the
dropped names, and an equal opportunity to register them for their
customers.
There are many other forms of useful data, including traffic data and
registrar sales data, all which could provide competitive advantage and
which must not provide in an unfair or unequal manner to certain
registrars over others.
On the operational side, Registries must provide access to systems in an
equal and fair manner.
Registry operational services, with competitive considerations, include:

-       New registry services: when and how we will be rolling out new
registry services;
-       Algorithms for various access and coordination functions; and
even
-       The Equipment we use.

In a vertically integrated situation, with a shared data center, shared
operational personnel, and/or shared offices, the ability to pass on,
observe or overhear information about technologies, systems, operations,
algorithms, plans, and patches is high -there is a danger of intentional
sharing of data (.e.g., for system development and maintenance purposes)
or unintentionally leaving it around (e.g., leaving a piece of paper on
the floor with outlines of a new service). A co-mingled
registrar/registry operation would have a hard time separating out the
operational functions, and difficulty providing a level playing field
for all registrars.
Goals of a Registry: Security and Stability of the TLD and the Internet.

Overall, I find the goals of the registries compelling: it is the
security and stability of their TLDs and the DNS space. That is the
passion and preoccupation of PIR, and the whole of the Registry
Constituency. In a comment to be filed by the Registry Constituency in
the DNS-Cert proceeding, due tomorrow, the Registry Constituency will
together submit:

"TLD Registry Operators play a critical role in the secure and stable
operation of the DNS and we welcome the opportunity to discuss
initiatives to improve DNS security, stability, and resiliency.
Registries' infrastructures, personnel, expertise, technology,
investments, and operational practices have underpinned the secure and
stable  functioning of the Internet as it has scaled globally over the
past two decades.  Indeed, registries are on the "front lines" of
defense against a variety of security threats that occur on a daily
basis.  As such, registries have developed expertise in addressing a
broad range of threats.  Registries have successfully coordinated with
other actors in the DNS and Internet services spaces to address threats
ranging from simple operator errors to those caused by sophisticated bad
actors.  Registries look forward to consulting with ICANN on these
important issues and to engaging with other actors to further develop
these initiatives."

We have a system of separations that works: Registries address the
security and stability of  their TLD and the Internet. Registrars work
with registrants - and find the boldest, most innovative ways to connect
people, organizations and business with the domain names and the domain
name services they need. The growth, the brilliance and dramatic changes
of the registrar field are extraordinary.

But it was done within a DNS system of checks and balances and of
requirements for equal access, equal treatment, and equal information
(with a further separation of ownership to back it up). That too has
served us, and the Internet community, well. Thus, we strongly support
extending the system of structural separation to the new gTLDs.

Jeff, I hope I have gone some distance in answering your question. I
look forward to our ongoing discussion and dialogue.

Best,
Kathy