ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

[gnso-vi-feb10] Competition authorities

  • To: Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [gnso-vi-feb10] Competition authorities
  • From: "Tim Ruiz" <tim@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2010 12:27:14 -0700

Regarding competition authorities reviewing certain
applicants/applications, all startups are not equal. There may be valid
competition issues/questions regarding large corporations entering a new
or especially a related market. It seems to me to be particulary true of
large corporations applying to single-registrant TLDs, especially if
there are VI carve outs for single-registrant entities.

Of course, it would be helpful to understand how/if competition
authories would handle such referrals. I think we should request some
response from US and EU competition authorities so we know how to
evaluate proposals that have such review provisions, or those that some
of us think might be better with it.

Note, the RSEP has such a provision. I don't believe its ever been used,
but perhaps Staff did some research on that prior to adding it to the
process and to registry agreements.

Tim