ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Another angle on allowing VI/CO

  • To: Antony Van Couvering <avc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Another angle on allowing VI/CO
  • From: Eric Brunner-Williams <ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2010 22:14:32 -0400

Antony,

The registrar has the registries for localization assistance. CORE is
working with Arabic and Farsi, Japanese, Chinese, and Hindi
registries, this doesn't seem to be as difficult, or as certain to
fail as you seem to think, and Verisign, NeuStar and Afilias have
done, or are doing, the very same.

So sure, any of the investors can pursue a greater ROI elsewhere, but
the investor is a _registry_ and if moving the investment in one of
its own registrars causes a greater ROI than retaining the registrar
as a sales channel for its primary value proposition, its inventory,
it is exiting the registry business.

Eric