ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

[gnso-vi-feb10] A Call to Harms

  • To: "Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx" <Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-vi-feb10] A Call to Harms
  • From: Jeff Eckhaus <eckhaus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 08:38:31 -0700

I have been reading the latest emails on the economists and the need for
analysis of supposed harms and I would like to bring back an earlier request I
made to the list. Could the people that are claiming there will be great harms
if there is cross-ownership and vertical integration please list these
potential harms so they could be analyzed by the group?

I am not asking for an analysis of these harms, but at least a small list or
discussion of what the Registries believe will happen if we allow CO and VI.
When asked by the group to discuss the benefits of CO, I put forward a
presentation on the benefits of cross -ownership (attached here). I am only
asking those who believe there will be some sort of harms to list those out.
Then maybe we could have a substantive discussion on benefits vs. harms.

Every action will have harms and benefits. Having a speed limit of 60 mph (100
km) is more dangerous than everyone having to drive at 20 mph but the benefits
of that speed and the chances of harm outweigh the need for everyone to crawl
on the road.  I would like this group to at least to be able to have these
discussions

Thanks

Jeff Eckhaus