ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] Notice: VI Call Thursday with the Economists Salop/Wright at 20:UTC

  • To: <Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] Notice: VI Call Thursday with the Economists Salop/Wright at 20:UTC
  • From: "Michael D. Palage" <michael@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 11:15:15 -0400

Keith,

I myself have also disagreed with some of the points put forth by Salop and
Wright. Notwithstanding these differences, they are widely recognized as
experts in this subject area. As part of the Team MMA research I have been
doing, the more law professors I speak with the more they reaffirm that
these guys know their stuff.

A big difference between the Australia & Seoul Presentations is that MOST
proposals we are now talking about include some type of audit safeguard.
Let's use our time today to talk to the experts and ask how other industries
have used audits and safeguard mechanisms to minimize potential harms to
consumers - a common goal we all share.

I also support your call for a full market economic analysis which ICANN has
failed to undertake when first raising this issue back in 2006. Once we get
this information (the first part which should be available by Brussels) we
then can begin to have a fully informed discussion of how to bring about
full choice and innovation within the marketplace (while protecting
registrants) as opposed to models which offer only incremental choice and
innovation while safeguarding incumbent business models/interests.

Best regards,

Michael