ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Notice: VI Call Thursday with the Economists Salop/Wright at 20:UTC

  • To: Roberto Gaetano <roberto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Notice: VI Call Thursday with the Economists Salop/Wright at 20:UTC
  • From: Eric Brunner-Williams <ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 10:50:42 -0400

Roberto,

Conflicting views among volunteers is normal, even desirable.

I appreciate your holding a view that how CRAI was instructed is of
little relevance to this Working Group.

I appreciate that Milton holds a similar view, interesting but not a
priority.

I appreciate that Avri holds a similar view, fascinating but not relevant.

That makes three volunteers.

Three who do not want to take up staff time looking for who, when,
where, how, and possibly why, a request for information and the Paris
resolution resulted in only a proposal that a registry may own a
registrar so long as the wholly-owned registrar does not sell
second-level domain names in the TLDs operated by the registrar, and a
proposal that single organization TLDs operate both the registry and
the registrar that sells second-level domain name.

Perhaps there are more with similar views. I can't say. Perhaps you
and Milton and Avri hold similar views regarding the project of Mssrs.
Salop and Wright, that their instructions have little relevance, are
not a priority, and not relevant, while their study, their
scholarship, is relevant, and a priority.

Both of the CRAI positions were utterly rejected in Nairobi by the
Board. The Board also had the benefit of Mssrs. Salop and Wright on
several prior occasions, and Resolution #5 appears to afford then the
same lack of credence.

For my own part, I am interested to know, as I've indicated by a prior
question to Margie, whether Mssrs. Salop and Wright are in any way
informed by any material aspect of the name to address mapping service
presently available.

Eric