ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] Notice: VI Call Thursday with the Economists Salop/Wright at 20:UTC

  • To: <Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] Notice: VI Call Thursday with the Economists Salop/Wright at 20:UTC
  • From: "Roberto Gaetano" <roberto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 23:54:57 +0200

Maybe something I can add to the discussion would at least partially answer
the question.
I cannot say ""who decided, and when, to put one, or both, of "single
registrant" and "relaxation of the vertical separation" issues, on the
policy development agenda"", but having been the Board Vice-Chair at that
time I can tell you that these items have been included in discussions,
presentations, documentation before the Board way before mid-2008. The
discussion at the Board level was not triggered by the single document Eric
quotes, which does not diminuishes his right to ask for reference to it, but
surely makes it less relevant for the WG and most probably lower in the
prioritized list of items to be done by staff.
In summary, I would not endorse use of VI-WG staff time in doing this task,
although it would be a legitimate request to ICANN as a whole, as part of
the transparency policy, but this is not the right place where to address
this request.
Of course, if there is a consistent group of members dissenting with my
opinion, and endorsing this request, I might change my mind. Absent this, I
strongly believe that we have already so much to do, and to ask staff to do,
that we need to be extremely careful in creating additional burden.

<Disclaimer> I did not consult with the co-chair, I am ready to stand
corrected if he has a different opinion

Cheers,
Roberto